Friday, September 14, 2007

One Click at a Time

Have you ever clicked on any of the ads (sponsored links) served in the Google results page?

Thinking of Google and searches, I could have easily made at least several thousand searches in the past few years (specifically with Google, few with MSN and Yahoo). But when I count how many times I've clicked on any of the ads... I remember is it 500, 100, 50, ... nope, just a mere 10.

I've always wondered how Google made so much money just out of delivering text ads, while for a guy who lives on Google searches (both at home and at work) doesn't click any of the ads served.

May be, millions and millions of people clicking thru' (at least once) is big enough to reach a hefty profit -- in billions. It may be the "one-click-at-a-time" policy working in full action. :) But how many of the clicks really benefit the advertiser?

Google and other major players charge advertisers based on pay-per-click (PPR), but how many of that clicks (or leads) that point to the advertiser's website is turned into a sales? That's questionable!

Well, until I figure this out, search and enjoy! For fun, trying googling your name.

PS: I've added "Google Ads" on this blog. And, no, I'm not trying to make millions out of these ads. :) It is just for fun!

6 comments:

Priya Iyer said...

google gives me my roti-sabji, my idli sambar, dosai chutney, curd rice and my bread butter! :) yay to google! the logic part is not my cup of tea, however! :(

Gopi Sundharam said...

Yeah Priya, you are right. It gives bread & butter to lot many like us.. :) Most of us will go mad (?) even if Google search is down for a day. What a stickiness.. ?

Aparna said...

I couldn't live without Google. For instance, it really helped me out with a life and death situation yesterday - it helped me find the plural for the word Noose! ;-)

Karthik Murugesan said...

Interesting thought. Here is my take.

Not everyone hitting a searching engine is a techie geek. I think it takes a certain level of geekieness to see past the google AD and concentrate on the results:).

When you are looking for a canon 70-200mm lens www.lowpricedigital.com might make more sense... But not when you are trying to find how to resolve And when I am searching for DCLauncher error at Microsoft.SharePoint.Win32.SPAdvApi32.SetServiceStartupType. I don't think you will see any Ads for this search either...

You remember the weddingshoes story? :)..

good post by the way...

Gopi Sundharam said...

@Aparna: Yeah, yeah, I know. :) If you do any more research on "noose" on Google, it might actually block you.. :)

@Karthik: Yes, that's partly true. But even on technical jargon search, you find lot of ads that we don't click. While it is true that "canon 1d" might give you lot of nice sponsored ads, the question is whether the user going to "www.lowpricedigital.com" would really make the purchase. The name itself is more than enough for me to not buy from them as I might not trust them. Well, that's just me... :)

Lot of people do trust websites like these and become viable to identity theft.

expertdabbler said...

Me and my team had a heated debate on this matter sometime back.
You will be surprised to know the number of people who think of those links are part of search results and not as Ads.

Even my MCA grad. cousin was of the same view. Thats google's biggest plus.

Also, forget about clicking, do you care to even look at any of the loud ugly banners(GIF, Flash) that many of our ndian news sites come up with?

Donald Norman had an interesting article on this issue..

http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/banner_blindnes.html