Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Earthquake

Today, late evening, I was taking a quick nap (lucky heh?). I woke up suddenly as my bed jolted and I felt as if my bedroom walls were closing in on me. For a second, I thought it was dream, but after few seconds, came to my senses and realized that it was an earthquake. Holyshit.

My second earthquake experience in US. Today's earthquake started at 8:00 pm with 5.6 magnitude and had its epiecenter at Alum Rock, California (15 miles from my place). It lasted for about 6-9 seconds.

Me and my roommate immediately rushed out of my apartment. We saw lot of people outside running. I tried calling some of my friends, but the network was either busy or completely cut-off. Sigh ;)

Anyways, there is nothing to worry about, no reported damage so far in the nearby area, other than few things falling off from the shelves. We will know the full damage tomorrow morning.

One of a kind experience! Another thing that you have to deal with living in the bay area. ;)

2 comments:

Priya Iyer said...

:( shudder shudder! that brought back memories of the 2001 Gujarat earthquake that I experienced! True, it is a one-of-a-kind experience!

Living Simple said...

It took an earthquake to get you to post?

I just sat down to watch tv when the the earthquake began. It was surreal, I told myself earthquake, I grabbed my purse (which was right beside me) and headed for the door. On the grounds outside I met all my neighbours, some frightened, some ready to go back in.

It was definetely a scary experience, and I live 14 miles from the epicenter... too close for comfort to tell you the truth.

Oh well, a story to tell your kids one day.

Please post again before there is another earthquake, we don't want to be having them so often so that you can post :)