Thursday, August 16, 2007

Finding a Roommate

Finding a roommate is somewhat similar to finding a soulmate. ;) Need to handle so many ifs & buts and have to make so many compromises on-the-fly. But at the end, its worth it, you have a person that you can share a bit more and have a feeling that at least someone is at home when you step in after a tiresome day's work.

Well, if I get a girl roomie, she *might* become my soulmate. Why not huh? Keeping all this in mind, I posted an ad on http://www.sulekha.com/ few weeks back. Here it is:


Searching for a friend/roomie

Are you the one?

Here's my story (short version) in bullets:

-- I'm trying to find a new roomie any time starting August 1st (this year of course :)).

-- I live in a single bedroom/bath apartment at Heritage Park (E. Evelyn and Fair Oaks Ave intersection) in Sunnyvale (94086).

-- I furnished this apt 2 years earlier, as my mom was here for 6 months. I've kept it clean (& safe?) so far. Hope to keep it the same for few more years.. :)

-- I believe it is a great time for apartment owners, they control the rental market price, like in 2000's. :) So I'm paying $1150 per month now. It will go up more..

-- Heritage Park is close to Caltrain station - 8 minute walk, if you are healthy, may take 10-12 minutes if you had too many doughnuts for breakfast.. :).

-- Bus stops are at the intersection.

-- In total, your share of rent would be approximately $575 + ballpark $100 in utilities.

-- Apt complex has swimming pool (all 5 feet deep), so if you are learning the ropes, you'd have a great time.

-- It also has a nice 24 hour gym (who works out in the night anyways?).

-- That's about it, I can't write anything more about this apartment.

-- If you are uncomfortable sharing a single bedroom (or sleeping in the living area, if you wish), then.. we have to think of another way to work this out.

-- My friends and I hang out & have fun... late-night movies, poker, bar-hopping, sleeping, deep-spiritual discussion (just kidding!) and many more.. you could join us too...

-- It would be nice if I can find a Tamil-speaking roomie. As you see, I'm not good with English, and since I only know partial Hindi, I'm out of luck there too!

-- I'm a non-veggie, but generally don't cook meat at home, if that's a concern for you.

-- I don't smoke and I don't mind if you do, but it would be nice if you don't smoke inside the apartment.

-- I know asking for a female roommate is unthinkable (and I exactly know what you are thinking now!! wipe it off!!) but I can manage with one. You see.. I don't run around naked inside the apartment.. ;) BUT, but wait.. our females (who are searching for apts) are not bold enough.. so don't even worry about it ;)

Anyways, hope to meet a friend soon!


I received several responses to the ad, five or six from the guys and two from the brave girls. All of them conveniently left voicemails (well, may be, I was busy, for a change). (Un)fortunately, both the girls just wanted to stay only for a month (may be they want to give me a try first... just kidding!) as they were doing internship in the bay area. There goes another 2 prospective clients.. ;)

Finally, I wound up with my friend RM's nice friend VP, a movie fanatic.

8 comments:

Karthik Murugesan said...

you are lucky dude... see what I have to go through with RM and RK... lol

Gopi Sundharam said...

Athu seri.. ithu nanna irukkay.. :)

Priya Iyer said...

:-) enjoyed the post thoroughly!

Gopi Sundharam said...

Thanks Priya! I'm happy you did. :)

Living Simple said...

Would you mind a kannadam girl? ;-) Or are u strictly looking for a tam!

Gopi Sundharam said...

Living Simple: I dunno why, but I strongly believe (?!) that you can reach intimacy only when you are conversing using your mother tongue... so sorry, no Kannadam girl.. ;)

but.. but...

we can learn a language and make it next to your mother tongue, if we give it a sincere attempt. Is anyone willing to try that... may be.. yeah sure, bcoz I have a close friend of mine who did just right that!

So you never know.. Kannadam girl.. hmm.. may be! ;) ;)

Suganya said...

So tell me how people take a dive in yr 5 inch pool?

Gopi Sundharam said...

Suganya: hmm.. nice catch, I didn't notice. See that's why I should once in a while step inside the pool instead of simply looking at it (from wide angle..) :)